This collection of images of places and objects in Thunder Bay, Ontario is not meant of be a cross-section of Thunder Bay but is an attempt to capture some of its character and spirit. Some of the images – such as the image of the Hoito Restaurant – were made by combining three or more photos into one image . These high dynamic range (HDR) images have a wider range of contrast than a single image. Consequently, HDR images more closely approach what the human eye sees. Some of the images, however, also have an other-worldly look. For other similar photos see Photography section called “Buildings, Monuments and Miscellaneous Items”. Some of my photos of Thunder Bay can be purchased in Thunder Bay at Fireweed and the Baggage Building Arts Centre. More recent Thunder Bay images can be seen in the gallery ‘Images of Thunder Bay 2′.
This image of station 25 was taken inside Bombardier's Thunder Bay plant last year during an open house. (HDR image)
The cow in front of Bay Meats helps to brighten things up on Bay Street. (altered HDR image)
The view from behind the pitcher's mound at Port Arthur Stadium. This is the home of the Thunder Bay Border Cats. (HDR image)
Geese and a canoe head in opposite directions on Lake Superior.
Alate June sunrise from the boat dock at Marina Park. (HDR image)
The playground at Marina Park features a blue hoop pathway. (HDR image)
Several paintings enliven the fence along the splash pool at Marina Park in Thunder Bay.
A statue commemorating those who died in recent wars stands in front of the renovated Thunder Bay City Hall. (HDR image)
This large curling stone sits on a pedestal outside of the Fort William Gardens in Thunder Bay, Ontario. (HDR of curling stone and pedestal part of image)
The front of the Canadian Bank of Commerce building on Victoria Avenue is all that remains after an intense fire a couple of years ago.
Looking up at the facade of the old Canadian Bank of Commerce Building. (HDR image)
A full moon rises over the Sleeping Giant.
A reflection of the St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church in the new Thunder Bay City Hall building.
Fort William Collegiate Institute was built in 1907, closed in 2005, and now awaits its fate. (HDR image)
The Sailers' Memorial honours the 58 men who lost their lives in the World War II while working for Paterson Steamships. (HDR image)
On March 22, 2012, Lake Superior is wide open outside the breakwall and ice inside the breakwall is breaking up.
A former Via Rail train sits not far from the James Whalen tugboat in the Kaministiquia River Heritage Park. (HDR image)
The First Lutheran Church on Banning Street in Port Arthur was built in 1907.
Thunder Bay's new Court House is now taking shape. This photo taken just before Christmas 2011.
HDR photo of the Sleeping Giant that alters reality somewhat - but so does a strong cup of coffee. (HDR image)
The sun appears from behind a bank of clouds over Lake Superior on a chilly morning on January 3, 2012.
The wooden framework sweeps aroundthe back of the Celebration Circle at Port Arthur's Landing in Thunder Bay, Ontario. (HDR image)
A wonderful series of Native Art panels, most of them by Randy Thomas, form the back of the Celebration Circle at Port Arthur's Landing in Thunder Bay, Ontario.
The Water Droplets sculpture are framed against a December dawn at the marina at Port Arthur's Landing. (HDR image)
A ship waiting to be loaded at a Port Arthur elevator in the Thunder Bay harbour. Metallic print can be purchased at Fireweed in Thunder Bay. Other , more recent ship and elevator images can be seen in "Images of Thunder Bay 2" photo gallery on this website. (HDR image)
The Hoito, which celebrates its 100th Anniversary this year, is the centre of Finnish culture in Thunder Bay as well as the Home of the Hoito Restraunt. Metallic print can be purchased at Fireweed in Thunder Bay. (HDR image)
Posts from an old dock along lower part of Kaministiquia River. (sepia toned HDR image)
Ship along an elevator in Thunder Bay harbour in mid-December.
The James Whalen is a tugboat that was built in 1905 and is now tied up on the walkway int Kaministiquia Riverfront Heritage Park near downtown Fort William. (HDR image)
The Thunder Bay Community Auditorium is the home to the Thunder Bay Symphony and also hosts many concerts and other community events. (HDR image in black and white)
The evening sun creates interesting patterns in the walkway over the railroad tracks in Westfort. (HDR image)
I took this photo when canoeing on the Kaministiquia River on a July evening. More recent images of grain elevators and ships can be seen at "Images of Thunder Bay 2" photo gallery on this website. (HDR image)
The Swing Bridge over the Kaministiquia River seen from underneath. (HDR image)
An August sunrise makes a siluette of the Swing Bridge over the Kaministiquia River.
Pilings from an old dock on the south side of the Kaministiqua River in Thunder Bay. (HDR image)
Sunrise at Hillcrest Park in the first week of December in 2010 (HDR image).
The light on the north side of the breakwall in the Thunder Bay Harbour seen from Marina Park on a very cold December morning.
The Jack Knife Lift Bridge spans the Kaministiquia River and connects Thunder Bay, Ontario to Mission Island.
An old Volkswagen Beetle rusting away in the woods in Thunder Bay. (HDR image)
Head of a horse on the carousel, constructed in 1918, at Chippewa Park. (HDR image)
The McIntyre River near Junot Avenue on a snowy January morning.
The Current River from the Arundel Street Bridge on a January morning.
The Manitoba Pool 2 elevator still stands near Marina Park in Thunder Bay. Its a reminder of the central role grain elevators played in the growth of Port Arthur and Fort William. (HDR image)
An elevator no longer in use along the shore in the Port Arthur portion of Thunder Bay. (HDR image)
St. Pauls Presbyterian Church was built in 1913. At this church in 1923 the General Assembly of the Presbyterian Church in Canada voted to merge the Presbyterians with the Methodists and the Congregationalists to form the United Church of Canada. St. Paul’s United then became the first United Church in Canada. (HDR image)
The statue of Terry Fox at his Memorial near Thunder Bay was made by Manfred of Oakville who worked on the clay model until "every curl was in the right place".
A wooden bridge for vehicles and trains spans the McKellar River and links McKellar Island and Mission Island. (HDR image)
Confederation College plays a key role in educating a wide variety of people in northwestern Ontario. (HDR image)
The Advanced Technology and Academic Centre (ATAC) building gives a high-tech look to Lakehead University. (HDR image)
Although Hillcrest High School is now closed, this classy colt still stands above the entrance to the school. (HDR image)
The cornerstone for the Port Arthur Collegiate Institute was laid in 1909. The building, situated on a hillside overloking Port Arthur, lives on as part of Lakehead University. (HDR image)
Thunder Bay is known for its cross country skiers and ski facilities. With the Lappe Nordic Centre and the Kamview Nordic Centre it has two of Canada's finest cross country ski areas.
A fossilized shell in the Tyndall limestone exterior of the Federal Building in Thunder Bay. Tyndall limestone is about 450 million years old and is one of the most common materials used in Canadian buildings.
Early morning along Thunder Bay's waterfront. (HDR image)
A beautiful sculpture known as ' Animikii - Flies the Thunder' was was created by Anne Allardyce. It is a representation of the Thunder Bird, an important creature in the folklore of the First Nations people of the area.
St. Paul's Anglican Church is one of many beautiful churches in Thunder Bay. (HDR image)
Light reflecting off railroad tracks at sunrise on the summer solstice from the bridge to Marina Park in Thunder Bay. (HDR image)
A Canadian Pacific Railway engine idles in front of an old elevator in Fort William. (HDR image)
The tracks in Westfort on a brisk November day. (HDR image)
Fireweed was founded in 1984 by a group of artists. It features pottery, jewelry, painting and other items by local and regional artists.
A ship at dawn next to an elevator in Thunder Bay's harbour. (HDR image)
The Friendship Gardens in Thunder Bay is a collection of monuments and sculptures donated by residents of various ethnic groups. The Italian monument has a statue of Romulus and Remus being nursed by a she-wolf. According to the Roman mythology, Romulus and Remus became the founders of Rome. (HDR image)
Thunder Bay is known for its terrific bakeries. On of these, the Vienna Bakery, rings up its sales on a magnifent old cash register. (HDR image)
The Current River bridge spans the Current River just above Boulevard Lake. (HDR imaage)
Thunder Bay has many old and abandoned grain elevators. They remind us of the importance of the railroad and the shipping of grain, ore and other products in the growth and prosperity of Thunder Bay. (HDR image)